To show and tell the gateway to life… Jesus Christ. We do this by knowing Christ (Connect/Grow) and making Christ known (Serve/Go).
Pastor – Jon Nuttall & his wife, Ruth
Jon Nuttall is married to Ruth and they have two adult children who are both married. Jon is serving Gateway as one of our pastors while we seek a new permanent minister. He loves to talk with people about Jesus and enjoys surfing and tennis and watching footy. Ruth enjoys spending time with people, doing craft and Netflix.
Pastoral Assistant & Youth Worker – Evan Barnes & his wife, Alicia & daughter, Sophia
Evan Barnes is married to Alicia and they have a young daughter, Sophia. Evan’s life was changed forever in year 6 when he put his trust in Jesus. Having seen how God used youth ministry to help him so much, he’s been devoted to seeing young lives transformed by Jesus since. Evan began serving in 2018 as a Pastoral Assistant and Youth Worker and really enjoys being supported for this work. The Barnes family enjoy being active in the Bay, growing sunflowers, going fishing and making delicious desserts
Before 2003 we met as St Stephens Presbyterian Church Nelson Bay. A congested parking lot led some visionary people to consider relocating the Church. Before too long the current site at 42 Gan Gan Road was bought and building commenced. Our first service at the new location was led by Robin Turner on Easter Sunday 11th April 2004. The official opening was on 16th & 17th October 2004.
On the 16th February 2014 we celebrated the opening of our extension which provided lots of multi-purpose rooms for Kids Church, Bible Studies & Office Space.
Under God’s grace Gateway Presbyterian Church has enjoyed steady growth and is now made up of something a bit over 250 people ranging from 0 to 93, with an average age of 35.6 years.
How We Run / Governance
As a Presbyterian Church, we are governed by a group of elders known as a Session, that includes the Pastor. They are responsible for the leadership and spiritual oversight of the church.
A second group, the Committee of Managment, is responsible for the financial management of the church under the direction of the Session. Members are elected each year.
What we believe
As a Presbyterian Church, we hold to the same values and beliefs as stated by the Presbyterian Church of Australia, NSW.
The Supreme Standard of the Church is the Word of God contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. The Subordinate Standard of the Church is the Westminster Confession of Faith read in the light of the Declaratory Statement.
We are Protestant, Evangelical and Reformed.
We believe that there is One God who is the Creator and Judge of the world. In the fullness of time He has revealed Himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- God has made Himself known in His infallible word, the Bible.
- We believe that human beings are created in God’s image. However, when Adam sinned, that image was stained and tarnished. We inherit Adam’s fallen nature.
- The penalty for sin is death, leading ultimately to the second death which is everlasting judgement.
- The law reveals that we are sinners but does not save us.
- Christ is the Lord from heaven who came to lead a sinless life, and offer Himself up as the sinless sacrifice to pay the death penalty which we deserve.
- We cannot earn salvation. We can only receive it when the Holy Spirit enables us to have faith in Christ alone.
- Trusting in Christ and not our own merits, we seek to live godly lives, loving God and our neighbour.
- We seek to serve Christ in the fellowship of the body of His people, the Church. Our joining this body is signified by baptism, our ongoing commitment to Christ is signified by taking part in the Lord’s Supper.
If you have any questions please contact us.